Christchurch print - The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrement
$45.00or 6 weekly interest-free payments of $7.50 What's this?
A series of 12 architectural illustrations of Christchurch heritage buildings by NZ graphic designer Hamish Thompson.
High quality A4 size fine art print on white 210gsm smooth matte art paper, using Epson UltraChrome archival inks.
Supplied with a backing board and info sheet, and ready to frame.
The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Barbadoes Street is regarded as one of the finest examples of church architecture in Australasia. Often referred to as the 'Basilica', the Cathedral takes its title from the original Church of the Blessed Sacrament erected on the same site in 1864. Greatly enlarged over the years it became the pro-Cathedral of the Diocese upon its establishment in 1887. At the turn of the 20th century the building was removed to Ferry Road to make way for the new Cathedral. Its foundation stone was laid on 10th February 1901, and the contractors, J.& W. Jamieson, completed the building in four years. Fifty men were engaged in its construction, which required more than 120,000 cubic ft (3360 cubic m) of stone, 4000 cubic ft (112 cubic m) of concrete and 90 tons (91 tonnes) of steel. The Cathedral was blessed and opened with much solemnity by the Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr. Thomas Carr, on 12th February 1905.
Following the earthquakes of 2010 and February 2011, the Cathedral was severely damaged. There has been considerable heritage deconstruction, but a decision on the future of the Cathedral is still to be made.
This product is Made in NZ
Share this product